TBS Early Childhood Center welcomes all children ages 3 months -6 years.
Reggio Inspired School
Our program, inspired by the Reggio Emilia Municipal schools, views the environment as the third teacher allowing children the opportunity to explore, question and seek answers. Working together, children, teachers and parents are co-learners in the classroom and school environment. Children’s thoughts and ideas are respected and regarded with value. Through observation, documentation, and further research children’s interests are recognized and explored. Children develop confidence and independence through this process. Literacy, math, science and communication are a natural outcome of this approach.
At Temple Beth Sholom Early Childhood Center we recognize that:
- All children have the right to be respected and treated with compassion.
- Children are strong, competent and social human beings
- Each child is a unique individual
- Children bring to school their own experiences and perspectives.
- Children actively participate in their learning
- Children are curious researchers who investigate in their own unique way.
- Children express themselves through a hundred different ways.
Learning takes place when ideas, concepts and theories are shared with others and in context relevant to the environment. Exploring relationships (child to child; child to adult; child to community; child to nature; child to materials and each of these things to the other) coupled with knowledge that the child already has, provide the foundation for understanding the world and constructing additional knowledge.
Our goal is to be co-collaborators with parents in raising happy, kind, loving and respectful leaders. People, who are passionate and compassionate, have a strong, positive self- esteem, are internally motivated, independent and social. Individuals who are empathetic and accepting of others, sensitive to diversity, open minded and charitable, collaborative in their approach with others and socially minded.
Certified Nature Explore Classroom
The Nature Explore Outdoor Classroom at Temple Beth Sholom Preschool is a dynamic, nature-based learning and play space for our students. Researches show that children need connections with the natural world as a regular part of their healthy growth and development. In our well-disguised Nature Explore Outdoor Classroom, children have daily contact with nature in a variety of ways. Children develop observation skills, which are fundamental in the foundation of math, science and literacy learning. The edible garden in our outdoor classroom offers children the opportunity to taste, touch, dig and feel a variety of fruits, vegetables and herbs. In our outdoor music and movement area, we provide a place where children can make music, dance and sing using a variety of natural melodic materials that allow for improvisation and creativity. This unique outdoor space offers your child countless open-ended possibilities for discovery and learning.
- explore green spaces, which develops a level of independence and stimulates a variety of different learning experiences.
- build with natural materials such as tree blocks, cedar tree stumps and hollow wooden blocks.
- share ideas, negotiate, make decisions, choose tasks and problem-solve together.
- incorporate math skills, like counting, predicting and estimating, such as determining how many sticks it takes to create a fort.
- actively engage in every part of the planting process, including: seeding, watering, weeding, tending and finally harvesting.
- develop a relationship and appreciation for the world around them.
Jewish values, holidays and traditions are introduced in a natural manner based on the calendar cycle and in the context of daily life. Children are exposed to ideas of social justice and are given opportunities to view experiences though many different lenses. With a commitment to the importance of Jewish education and an appreciation for and welcoming of the full range of Jewish identities, practice, family structure and culture, we welcome all who wish to join us.
We would love to have you as a member of our Temple Beth Sholom Preschool family. For more information, please contact the preschool at 714-628-4640.